College Savings: What professionals need to know
A college savings solution offering tax advantages and a wide range of investment options for over 20 years.
- A Direct Sold plan well-suited to the priorities of financial professionals: Low expenses, a disciplined investment approach as well as support and services tailored to the needs of Advisors.
- Flexible use options to help minimize impact of changing client needs or priorities: Approved for a wide range of educational experiences, expenses, can be used nationwide and at many schools abroad. Your beneficiary can be changed at any time to another eligible beneficiary or simply withdraw assets.1
- A disciplined set of investment options: Full suite of self-adjusting Enrollment Year Investment Portfolios that utilize a progressive glidepath creating a more gradual shift in asset allocation, along with Risk-Based Portfolios and the Guaranteed Portfolio Option allowing for more control over allocations. Portfolios are managed by a dedicated 529 investment team and use funds from leading asset manager, Nuveen, a TIAA Company.
- Estate tax and legacy planning benefits:
- Estate tax exempt. Kiddie tax exempt. Generation skipping tax exemption eligible.
- Able to seed account with large upfront contribution – a lump sum gift of $80,000 if you’re a single filer or $160,000 if you’re married and pro-rate the gift over 5 years per the federal gift tax exclusion as of 2022.
- No limit on the number of accounts / beneficiaries.
- Account owner maintains control over assets.
- Simplified 529 account management: Access client data easily and quickly with Ascensus QuickView.
- Planning Tools & Sharable Resources: For example, use our College Calculator to explore funding scenarios considering age, contribution levels, school choice as well as your assumptions for ROI, cost inflation. Downloadable PDF of outcome suitable for client conversation on education savings.
What can you do
- Include college savings as part of your periodic goal discussions.
- Encourage your clients to have dedicated college savings accounts, as this may both reduce the temptation to use retirement assets for college savings and help them sleep at night.
- Make sure college savings are invested in vehicles with appropriate risk-reward profiles, and that your clients take advantage of available tax benefits.
- Use our Enrollment Year Investment Portfolios on their own or fine-tune their risk/global exposure by mixing them with an allocation of our Risk-Based Portfolios.
Manage your client’s accounts with 529 QuickView®
Need some help?
Give us a call800-544-5248
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 7:00 PM PT
For those with a hearing impairment, please contact us at the number above via a relay service. Language translation services available upon request.
More to explore
Compare investment options
We make it easy to choose investment options that fit your financial needs and savings goals.Discover your options
College Savings Calculator
Explore different scenarios to help you achieve your college savings goals.Use our calculator
See how your savings add up
Use our calculator to get a quick estimate of how much you can save for education.Estimate your savings